p. 761 - R. BROWN GANS.
"R. B. Gans, the celebrated optician and telescope maker, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, July 2d, 1819. He was educated at the common schools of the county, and among other things learned the cabinet-maker’s trade from his father, who was a skilful mechanic. He followed this business until the war. About the year 1847, and while yet a citizen of Pennsylvania, he commenced work as an optician. He made some twelve telescopes, one of which he sold to Waynesburg College, Green county, Pennsylvania. After coming to Boone county he resumed the business. He made the one now in use at the Christian Female College, Columbia, worth $1,000. He has one now in course of construction which will, when finished, be worth $2,000. It will be an equatorial instrument, worked by a clockwork governor, ten feet focal length, and seven inches clear aperture. It will be provided with fifteen eye pieces of various kinds, together with a pull-rising eye-piece and micrometer. It will be mounted on a heavy iron column of a half-ton weight, with right ascension and declination circle to five seconds. He also has a small instrument already complete. It is fifty-seven inches focal length and three and one-fourth inches aperture. It is mounted in brass on a heavy try-rod, together with finder and four eye-pieces, possessing a magnifying power of from sixty to two hundred times. It is adjusted by rack and pivot and endless screw. This instrument is valued at two hundred dollars. Mr. Gans imports his glass from the same firm that supplies Clark & Son, of Cambridgeport, Massachusetts. He furnished one telescope to Dr. Isaac Ridge, of Kansas City, in 1881, for which he received two hundred dollars. He has an invention of his own for grinding and polishing his glasses and lenses. The old method of grinding by hand took the time and trouble to grind one glass that he would devote to five, and his process is more accurate and better. He has a machine lathe, made by Sheppard, of Cincinnati, which cost him two hundred dollars."
"William H. Garrett was born July 14th, 1855. He is the son of James Garrett, a hardware merchant of Mexico, Missouri. His grandfather, Richard Garrett, a native of Kentucky, is now a citizen of Schuyler county, Missouri. William H. was the eldest of seven children. He was educated in Mexico, where he was apprenticed to the hardware business. Was married to Miss Rosa, daughter of T. S. Sneed. Mrs. Garrett was the first living child born in Centralia. They have one child, Nina. Mr. Garrett is an exemplary member of the Christian church. He moved to Centralia in 1881, previously selling out his business at Vandalia, Missouri. He purchased an interest in the hardware store of Mr. E. Thurston, and July 11th, 1882, they bought the furniture store of J. M. Hawkins. The firm of Garrett & Thurston is a reliable, prosperous house. Both men are practical workmen in their line of business."
"Mr. Garth is the son of John R. and Kate M. (Turner) Garth and was born in Boone county, Missouri, February 24th, 1852. His father, John Robert Garth, was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, November 10th, 1827. He was married in Boone county, Missouri, in January 1851, to Miss Catherine M. Turner. He was one of Columbia’s most enterprising merchants and best citizens. He died suddenly on the 23rd of July, 1877, at the residence of his son, A. T. Garth, and is buried at the Columbia cemetery. Our subject, A. Turner Garth, was educated at the State University and at Bryant & Stratton’s Commercial College of St. Louis. In 1873 and 1874 he was engaged in the boot and shoe business in Columbia, and in 1877 and 1878 he was with R.H. Clinkscales in the grocery business. In the spring of 1880 he went back upon the farm and has dealt largely in stock ever since. He handles none but the best blood, and has shipped many young cattle to Kansas and other Western States. He is interested in a very large herd of cattle in Dickerson county, Kansas, and in the spring of 1881 he shipped an extra large lot of stock to the West. He and his brother, S. T. Garth, have a very large farm, well appointed in all modern improvements and well stocked with thoroughbreds. The home farm is called the Rose-Bud Herd Farm, and is one of the best upon the celebrated Two-mile prairie. Mr. Garth was married October the 8th, 1872 to Miss Ella M., daughter of I. W. and A. B. McDonald, of Kansas City. They are blest with one child, Roberta B. Mr. and Mrs. Garth are members of the Christian church and he is a member of the A.O.U.W. society."
"Mr. Garth is another citizen who can boast of having been 'to the manner born.' He is the son of Jefferson and Mary Garth, old residents of the county, and was born in Columbia, May 5th, 1841. He was reared in his native town and educated in the University there. His first business experience was that of clerk for Stone & Son in the dry goods business in Columbia. In May, 1865, he went to Rocheport and engaged in the grocery business, and is still in the same line of business at the same place. On the 9th of October, 1862, he married Miss Rhodie Turner, of which union there has been born one child, a daughter, named Lizzie. Mr. Garth belongs to Boone lodge, No. 121, I.O.O.F., and is an honored citizen of Rocheport."
"Jefferson Garth was born in Scott county, Kentucky, May 22, 1803. He is the son of John and Sally (Griffith) Garth. He came to Boone county, Missouri, in the fall of 1836. Nine years previous to emigrating to Missouri, he married Mary Ann, daughter of Gen. Robert S. Russell. By this marriage they have had eight children, seven sons and one daughter, of whom two sons, Robert and Thomas Allen, are dead. Walter W. Garth, clerk of the circuit court, is the youngest of the family. William is a farmer in Clay county. Samuel has a cattle ranche in the Indian Nation, where he is now living. Henry H. is living in Rocheport, where he has a grocery store. James M. is living on a farm four miles north of Rocheport. Lizzie, the only daughter, is the wife of Col. C. T. Worley. Mrs. Worley is living with her parents. Mr. Garth has followed farming all his life. He has a fine farm of 600 acres, lying partially within the suburbs of Columbia. It is well watered and timbered. Mrs. Garth is the only child of the Russell family now living. She is seventy-seven years old. Mr. Garth’s father died in 1836, and his mother a few years later. John Garth was one of the largest farmers and slaveholders in Scott county."
"Walter Warren Garth was born in Columbia, January 27, 1848. His father is Jefferson Garth, one of the oldest and most prominent citizens of Boone county, who came from Scott county, Kentucky, and settled here in 1836. Walter Garth was educated at the common schools and at all three of the Columbia colleges -- the University, the Baptist and the Christian. At the age of eighteen, or in the year 1866, he was appointed deputy circuit clerk by John M. Samuel, the then incumbent of the office. He held this position until 1874, when he was elected to the office, and became, at the age of twenty-six, circuit clerk and recorder of Boone county. In 1878, after a close and exciting contest, he was reelected over Mr. Woodson, one of the most popular men in the county. Mr. Garth has filled the office to the general satisfaction of all the people, and has made for himself hosts of friends by his courteous, accommodating conduct as a public officer and as a man. "Mr. Garth is a prominent member of the Masonic order. He has taken all the degrees up to and including that of Knight Templar. He has been master of the blue lodge; I.I.G.M. of the council; H.P. of the chapter, and E.C. of the commandery. He and Mrs. Garth are members of the Presbyterian church. "October 7, 1867, when but nineteen years of age, Mr. Garth married Miss Eva Samuel, daughter of Hon. John M. Samuel, and a most accomplished young lady, and a graduate of Bellwood seminary, Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Garth have had born to them six children, four of whom are yet living, viz.: Mary, Jefferson, Lucy and William. Their oldest son, John, a bright, promising lad of thirteen, the pride and fond hope of his parents, and a favorite with all who knew him, was one of the victims of the Samuel’s pond disaster, November 29, 1881, mention of which heart-rending circumstance is to be found elsewhere in this history. "The Garth family were Unionists, but not Radical, during the civil war. Samuel A. Garth, a brother of the subject of this sketch, commanded a company in the Federal service. Walter Garth is in politics a Democrat, fully in accord with and strong in the faith of the party founded by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Possessed of a genial, kindly nature, an active, intelligent spirit, troops of friends, a splendid record as to past conduct, ‘Wat’ Garth’s future is promising, and his life can hardly fail of being a success."
"Robert Bratton Gay was born in Clark county, Kentucky, December 11th, 1834. His parents, John and Rebecca Gay, were born and raised in Kentucky but emigrated to Missouri in 1837, when the subject of this sketch was a small boy. They settled on a farm in Rocky Fork township, the present abode of their son, Robert B. Gay, where they lived and died. Mr. Gay was married, in 1861, to Miss Laura F. Chrisman, a native of Boone county, born in 1840. She is the daughter of Elijah and Jane A. Chrisman, Kentuckians, who emigrated to Missouri in an early day. Elder Chrisman was one of the pioneer preachers of the country, and has established several churches in this and Callaway counties. He is still living and preaching to some of the churches he established when he first came to the State. He is seventy-nine years old. Mr. and Mrs. Gay have had four children, two of whom are living. Mr. Gay, his wife and one son are members of the Christian church at Hickory Grove. They are well-to-do, prosperous farmers. living in that independent, joyous contentment which seems ever to be the reward of virtuous lives and honest toil."
"One of the most prominent characters of Boone county and of Missouri in early days, was the distinguished citizen and soldier whose name heads this sketch. Gen. Gentry was born in Madison county, Ky., August 21st, 1788. He was a son of Richard Gentry, Sr., Esq., of Virginia, and one of a family of nineteen children, sixteen sons and three daughters. This family has numerous members and representatives throughout Missouri, the majority of whom are or have been prominently connected with the political history and the financial, commercial, and other vital interests of the State. "Early in life Richard Gentry, Jr., evinced a fondness and talent for military service. When but nineteen years of age he received a commission from Gov. Christopher Greenup, of Kentucky, appointing him a lieutenant in the 19th Regiment of Kentucky militia. This commission bears date March 27th, 1808. Subsequently, June 18th, 1811, he was commissioned captain by Gov. Chas. Scott. September 1st, 1813, he was appointed by Gov. Isaac Shelby ensign of volunteers, and in this capacity served in the war of 1812. He was under the command of Gen. Harrison and his service was rendered on the northern border. He took part in different engagements with the British and Indians, including the battle of the Thames, in Canada, October, 1813. After his removal to Missouri, Gen. Gentry received the following commissions in the military service of the State: -- "From Gov. Alex McNair, April 20th, 1821, as captain of the 4th company, 2d battalion, 14th regiment, 1st brigade, 1st division of Missouri militia. "From Gov. McNair, September 5th, 1822, as colonel of the 26th regiment, 1st brigade, 1st division,. "From Gov. John Miller, January 26th, 1832, as major-general of the 3d division. "From Gov. Lilburn W. Boggs, July 11th, 1837, as colonel of the 1st Missouri volunteers. "From Gov. Boggs, September 12th, 1837, as major-general of the 12th division of Missouri militia. "In 1816, Gen. Gentry came to Missouri, and located first in St. Louis county. In 1818 he came to Old Franklin, Howard county, and in 1820 to Boone county, settling near Columbia. He was a member of the Smithton town company. Upon the removal of the county seat, he settled permanently in Columbia, which was his home while he lived. From 1826 to 1830 he was the State Senator from this district. In 1832 he commanded the Missouri troops on the expedition to northeast Missouri during the Black Hawk war. (see general history) Five years later he was authorized by the Secretary of War, Joel R. Poinsett, to raise a regiment of Missouri volunteers for service in the Florida war against the Seminoles, which he did. (See general history for full and interesting particulars.) It is generally known that Gen. Gentry fell at the battle of Okeechobee, Florida, Christmas day, 1837. The Missouri troops were dismounted, and with their colonel at the head, were crossing a swamp to attack the Seminoles. Col. G. waved his sword and cried out to his men: ‘Come on, boys!’ Immediately he was struck by a bullet from an Indian rifle and mortally wounded. His wound was through the bowels; a silk handkerchief was drawn through it, which circumstance will indicate its character. He died at about the ensuing midnight. Before his death he sent for Gen. Zachary Taylor, the commanding officer, and requested him to do the Missouri regiment full justice and give it proper credit for its services. Col. Gentry’s son, Harrison Gentry, who was sergeant-major of the regiment, was wounded in the arm in the same engagement. "The history of the services of Gen. Gentry is so interwoven with the history of Boone county, and set out so fully on other pages of this volume, that it would be a work of superogation to write it here. What is here written is partly a repetition of matter to be found elsewhere. His remains lie in Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, and he Dreams of battle fields no more--days of danger, nights of waking. They were brought from Florida and interred by the General Government, Brig-Gen. Atkinson having especial charge of that duty. "Prior to the Black Hawk and Florida war -- say about 1830 -- Gen. Gentry was engaged in the Santa Fe trade, and made several trips to New Mexico in the prosecution of his business, in which he was fairly successful. "In person, Gen. Gentry was about six feet in height, and weighed 200 pounds. He was of a robust physique and of an active temperament. His eyes and hair were dark, if not black, and he was a fine specimen of noble manhood both in appearance and reality. His portrait, by Geo. C. Bingham, now in the possession of his son, T.B. Gentry, Esq., is said to be a good likeness. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and belonged to the order of Free Masons. In politics, he was a Jackson Democrat, and a warm personal and political friend of Col. Thos. H. Benton, who, from his seat in the U.S. Senate, sent numerous letters of condolence to Mrs. Ann Gentry, the colonel’s widow, upon her husband’s death, and secured for her the position of postmistress at Columbia, which position she held for more than thirty consecutive years, being first commissioned, February 20th, 1838, by Amos Kendall, postmaster-general. Gen. Gentry, himself, had previously held the office, being first appointed January 12th, 1830, by P.M. Gen. Wm. T. Barry. "Gen. Gentry had a family of interesting children, all of whom attained greater or less distinction, that arrived at maturity. Harrison Gentry, who was wounded at Okeechobee, died in Columbia in 1871. Nicholas H. Gentry took service under Gen. Price, upon the outbreak of the civil war, and died from wounds received at the battle of Wilson’s Creek. O. P. Gentry, a prominent citizen of Monroe county, died at Paris, Mo., in 1881. Thos. B. Gentry, the only surviving son of the family, resides at Columbia; his biographical sketch will be found elsewhere. Miss Ann Eliza Gentry was a lady of rare talents and attainments; a woman renowned as well for her accomplishments as for her general qualities. She was celebrated as a teacher, and was at first assistant to Miss Lucy Wales, of Columbia, and afterwards connected with other educational institutions in different parts of the State, notably with Grand River College, Grundy county. She first married a Mr. Bryan and afterward became the wife of a gentleman named Elliott. She died in Vernon county, in 1879. "Gen. G. was married February 13th, 1810, to Miss Ann Hawkins, of Kentucky, a daughter of Nicholas Hawkins, an old soldier of the Revolution. They became parents of thirteen children, only two of whom are now living, Thos. B. and Mary, now the wife of Boyle Gordon, Esq."
"Thomas Benton Gentry, Esq., son of Gen. Richard Gentry, was born in Columbia, October 12th, 1830, and was educated in the schools of his native county. Upon the death of his distinguished father his mother was given the post-office at Columbia, and in 1855, he entered the office as head clerk, which position he held for several years, including the period of the civil war. Previous to this he had engaged in merchandising for a period of about twelve years. From 1868 to 1878 he was justice of the peace. He served as one of the trustees of the town of Columbia for many years, and has twice been chairman of the board. For five years he was the treasurer of the State University. "October 30th, 1860, Mr. Gentry married Miss Mary Todd, a daughter of Roger North Todd, the pioneer clerk of Boone county, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere. Mr. and Mrs. Gentry have two sons, promising youths, who are in attendance at school in Columbia. The family lives in a pleasant and comfortable home in the suburbs of Columbia, with all the elements necessary to constitute happiness -- health and strength, a fair competence, and hosts of warm friends. In this home, Mr. Gentry has certain articles of historic interest and value pertaining to his renowned father. He has Gen. Gentry’s sword, epaulets (those of a major general), coat, chapeau, numerous commissions etc., together with the flag of the regiment commanded by Col. G. at the time of his death. A sketch of this banner will be found in another part of this history. "Mr. and Mrs. Gentry are members of the Presbyterian church, of which Mr. G. has been an elder for nearly twenty years. He is also a member of the order of Good Templars. In politics Mr. Gentry is conservative and not the slave of any party. Prior to the civil war, he was a Democrat. During the war he was an unconditional, uncompromising Union man with no sympathy at all for secession. He voted for Gen. Grant in 1868 and 1872, but since the latter named period has generally acted with the Democratic party, voting for Tilden in 1876 and Hancock in 1880. In 1874 Mr. Gentry was graduated from the law department of the State University, but is not now an active practitioner. He lives in semi-retirement, in his beautiful little home in the bosom of his excellent family and is well known as an estimable, honorable gentleman, generous and hospitable, meriting and receiving universal esteem."
"Alexander Robert Gibbs was born in Bedford county, Virginia, June 4, 1815. He was the fifth son and seventh child of a family of nine sons and six daughters. In his tenth year he removed with his parents to Kentucky where he grew to manhood. Was brought up on the farm and in early life commenced trading in stock, buying in Kentucky and driving to Virginia, North Carolina and Alabama. Was married in Lee county, Virginia, March 9, 1847, to Mary J. Gibson, daughter of Zachariah Gibson. By this marriage they had four children, two sons and two daughters, all of whom are living except the oldest son, who was drowned in early boyhood. Mr. Gibbs came to Missouri in 1851 and settled on the farm where he now resides, six miles northeast of Ashland, and fifteen miles southeast of Columbia. There are 260 acres in this tract. He owns a large body of land on the Missouri river. Mr. Gibbs deals largely in thorough-bred stock, principally cattle."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of Moses T. and Elizabeth (Cowan) Glenn, and was born May 24th, 1826, in Nicholas county, Kentucky. His father, Moses Glenn, was born March 26th, 1791, in Fleming county, Kentucky, and died in March 1866. His mother was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, May 15th, 1795; died in 1879, and is buried by the side of her husband in the county of her birth. They had eight children, six boys and two girls. Sarah P., born March 24th, 1825; Robert P., born May 24th, 1826; Nancy A., born November 24th, 1827; Thos. J., born May 5th, 1829; John H., born February 11th, 1831; Archibald M., born February 8th, 1833, and died at Memphis in 1867; Moses A., born December 15, 1834; and James M., born January 12th, 1837. Robert P., the second of the eight children, was educated in his native county. He lived upon the farm with his father, and took the general management of the farm, which was a very large one, being composed of just one thousand acres. He lived at home till he was twenty years of age, then, in 1855, he ran a saw and grist mill in Nicholas county, Kentucky, on Fleming creek, known and the Pleasant Valley mills. After running the mills satisfactorily for three years, he came to Audrain county, Missouri, and rented a farm upon which he raised one crop. He then bought a farm in Boone county, ten miles northeast of Columbia, between the old St. Charles and Mexico roads, known as the Fuller Allen farm, where he still resides. The farm contains four hundred and eighty acres, and is one of the best improved farms in Boone county, being regarded as the model farm of the Two-mile prairie. He has five miles of hedge upon the place, making an impassable barrier for unruly stock. He has a fine house, and his fields are all well-watered. His stock consists of pedigreed short-horn cattle, Cotswold sheep and Berkshire hogs. He is a dealer in mules, handling, on an average, eighty head per year. He was married, May 1st, 1856, to Miss Amanda F., daughter of John and Kitty (Squires) Hall, of Nicholas county, Kentucky. They have four children; John H,., Moses F., Sallie and Robert B., all living. Himself, wife and daughter are members of the Christian church. Mrs. Glenn’s father, John Hall, was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, May 8th, 1801. Her mother, Kitty Squires, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, March 15th, 1808. Their children were: Margaret Elizabeth, born December 30th, 1829; Cynthia Ealin, born January 16th, 1832; Mary Catharine, born July 27th, 1834; Amanda Frances, born July 26th, 1836; Mildred Ann, born June 23d, 1838; Harriet Stout, born April 18th, 1840; Caroline Amelia, born April 25th, 1842; Judith Ann, born July 1st, 1844; Laura, born September 20th, 1846 and died January 29th, 1849; Sarah Jane born January 4th, 1849; Robert Henry born January 6th, 1855. Mrs. Glenn’s grandfather was James Hall, born in Ireland, May 5th, 1753, and died February 7th, 1835. His wife, Elizabeth (Johnson) Hall, was born December 28th, 1759, and died July 7th, 1839. Her grandfather upon her mother’s side was Micajah Squires, born February 4th, 1770, and was murdered near St. Louis in 1819. His wife, Margaret Turley, was born October 3d, 1775, and died in August 1858. They were both born in Virginia.
"Archibald Goin is a native of Kentucky, having been born in Madison county, June 5, 1812. He is the son of Francis and Nancy Goin. Living in Kentucky until he was seventeen years old, he came to Boone county in September, 1829, and remained one year in Missouri. He then returned to his former home in Kentucky. In 1831 came back to Boone county and settled in what is now known as Centralia township, but afterwards removed to Perche township, where he now resides. He has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. Was married in 1830 to Sophia, daughter of Samuel and Ellen Hunter. They raised seven children, four of whom are now living Lost two sons in the army. The names of the living are William H., Margaret, James Grandison, and Susan P. Three of their children, James, Martha Ellen, and Franklin, are dead. Mrs. Goin is a member of the Old School Baptist church. Mr. Goin is not a church member."
"William H. Goin was born in Boone county, Missouri, January 5, 1834. He is the son of Archibald and Sophia (Hunter) Goin. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. About the year 1869 he commenced merchandising in Sturgeon. He had previously clerked in a store when a boy. He was married, January 6, 1856, to Miss E.J. Sweeney, daughter of Archibald Sweeney, who was a justice of the peace for Bourbon township for a number of years. They have five children, all living -- Emma, Byron A., Idella, Archie and Aubrey. Mr. Goin is a man of considerable culture. His opportunities, when young, were poor, but, but hard study and close application, he has in a great measure overcome the disadvantages of early life, and with small thanks to any one but himself, can boast a fair education, which for all practical purposes is not inferior to that of many of our college graduates. The acquisition of property, as well as education, has also been by his individual efforts. He has travelled extensively in connection with the cattle business, visiting some seventeen States. He is a member of the firm of Goin & Lockridge, which has been in existence since 1870."
"W.A. Goodding is the son of J.C. and Elizabeth (Dameron) Goodding, the former of Kentucky, the latter of North Carolina. W.A. was born in Randolph county, Missouri, October 26th, 1846. His father removed to Macon in 1847. Young Goodding was educated at the Mount Pleasant College, Huntsville, and at the Kirksville Normal College. He returned to Randolph in 1865, and in 1872 came to Boone county. He engaged in coal mining on a large scale at Brown's Station. He was married December 25th, 1873, to Martha E., daughter of Lewis G. Berry, of Boone. They have four children: Nettie E., Lena, Charlie R. and Bessie. Mr. and Mrs. Goodding are members of the Baptist church. He is a Mason, K.T., H.P. of chapter, also K. of P. He is also a member of A.O.U.W. He was a notary public for six years. His home is in Columbia. He has always voted the Democratic ticket, and at the primaries in August, 1882, after an animated canvass, received the nomination of his party for sheriff by a decided majority."
"Boyle Gordon is a native of Madison county, Kentucky, the home of many of our best citizens, and the native county of the parents of many more. There is scarcely a neighborhood in Boone but has representatives from this good old county, which gave so liberally of her best citizens to people Boone and other counties of Missouri. It seems strange that so many people could have left one county without a great measure depopulating it. Visitors from that portion of Kentucky are forcibly impressed with the similarity of the people of Boone as compared with their own. The reason is obvious: Central Kentucky is virtually the parent of Boone county, and the resemblance is the natural result of a natural cause. Mr. Gordon was born December 8th, 1825, and came to Boone county in the fall of 1826. He remained in Columbia until 1840, when he returned to Kentucky, where he remained for three years attending school. He returned to Boone, and entered the old Columbia Seminary, finishing his education at the State University. At the age of twenty-five he commenced the study of law in the office of his father, John Boyle Gordon, then a prominent attorney at the Columbia bar. Was admitted to the practice of law when twenty-seven years of age, and followed the profession without intermission until he retired from practice in 1872. He was appointed assistant professor of law in the State University, which position he holds at this writing. Mr. Gordon was first married, in 1863, to Miss Susan Watson, of Ralls county, Missouri. She did not survive their marriage but one year, dying in 1864. He was elected to the Legislature from Columbia district in 1864, serving two sessions. In 1875, Governor Hardin appointed him judge of the Boone county court, which office he declined. Mr. Gordon has been quite successful in the practice of law. From 1856 to 1862, he was in partnership with General Guitar, the firm commanding all the practice they could well attend to. July 10th, 1867, Mr. Gordon was married to Ann Gentry, daughter of Col. Richard Gentry, who was killed in the Florida war. Mr. Gordon owns a nice farm one and one half miles southeast of Columbia on the Columbia and Ashland gravel road. The farm contains three hundred acres well improved and pleasantly situated. During the war Mr. Gordon was a consistent Union man, but took no part in the struggle. Since the war he has voted the Democratic ticket. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, having united with that denomination more than forty years ago. Mr. Gordon has had two children by his second wife. His daughter, Annie, died April 5th, 1879. His son Marshall, born April 6th, 1869, is still living. The remains of the old Black mill, one of the first water mills ever erected in Boone county, is situated on Mr. Gordon’s place. It was built as far back as 1839. It is situated on the Hinkson Creek. Mr. Gordon has a fine collection of Indian pottery, arrow-heads and stone axes, and takes much interest in those relics. He is an affable gentleman, firm in his opinions and resolute in maintaining them."
"Carey H. Gordon is the son of John B. and Sophia (Hawkins) Gordon. He was born in Columbia, Missouri, June 10th, 1844, and was educated at the State University, attending the literary department of that institution for three years, and afterwards the law department for two years. Commenced the practice of law in 1872 with his brother, Wellington Gordon, at Columbia. In 1864 he enlisted as a private in company B, 9th Missouri State Militia, and served three years, leaving the army in March, 1865. In August, 1863, he was transferred to a newly organized company of which he was made second lieutenant. Was at the battle of Kirksville, in Adair county, August, 1862. Was afterwards on a scout with ten men, some ten miles from Liberty, in Clay county, Missouri, when they came in conflict with Jesse James and his band. Two of Gordon's men were wounded and two horses shot. Three of the James band were wounded, the noted outlaw being of the number, losing one of his fingers. He sent Gordon word the next day, offering him a horse and suit of clothes if he would come to Kearney, Clay county, by himself. Gordon returned answer that he was not in need of a horse nor of clothing. Mr. Gordon resigned and left the service in March, 1865, to prosecute his studies at the State University. He was married in 1876 to Miss Julia Long, of Bridgeton, St. Louis county, Missouri. They have four children, two sons and two daughters: Boyle, Jr., Edwin, Clara and Sophia. Mr. Gordon is a member of the Christian church. Mrs. Gordon is a member of the Baptist Church. He is also a member of the order of K. of P. He has followed farming in connection with his law practice since entering upon the active duties of life He has a good farm of 332 acres situated two miles east of Columbia, on the Fulton gravel road. Mr. Gordon has a liberal share of practice at the Columbia bar. His father, John B. Gordon, was in his day one of the ablest lawyers in central Missouri. He represented his county in the legislature for sixteen years."
"John Boyle Gordon was born in Milford, Madison county, Kentucky. His father, David Gordon, was a native of North Carolina who emigrated to Kentucky in an early day, and by shrewd management and energy, laid the foundation of a considerable fortune. After establishing himself in business, in Madison county, he married Miss Jane Boyle, sister of John Boyle, chief justice of Kentucky. Mrs. Adams, mother of Judge Washington Adams, of Missouri, is also another sister. The subject of this sketch was brought up on the farm and was early inured to all the hardships of farm life, but had little appreciation of agricultural pursuits He attended the country schools of winters and studied hard between sessions until he was prepared to teach school. He taught until he had procured means to place himself at Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, some twenty miles from his father's home. There, under the instructions of Horace Holby, he made rapid progress in his chosen profession. He spent two years at this institution, being limited to that period for the want of means. He returned home sorely puzzled as to what course to pursue, as his father seemed not at all disposed to further his designs in procuring a legal education. In this dilemma, he approached W. H. Caperton, an eminent lawyer of the Richmond bar, who generously responded to his appeal, giving him all the instruction in his power, and advancing him the means he stood so much in need of. Returning to Transylvania, he completed his course and was admitted to the bar. He commenced his professional career at the Richmond bar by forming a partnership with Col. John Speed Smith, brother-in-law to Cassius M. Clay When thoroughly established in business, he married Miss Sophia, daughter of Nicholas Hawkins, a well-to-do farmer of Madison county. In 1826, David Gordon, the father of John B., resolved to emigrate to Columbia, Missouri, and his son came with him. At the time of their advent, Columbia contained but two or three houses, rude cabins hardly worthy the name of houses. They found the people of Boone county, even at this early date, very much absorbed in politics, being about equally divided between the Whig and Democratic parties. The subject of this sketch, being an ardent Whig, at once entered the arena of politics. He was directly chosen candidate for the legislature and elected. At the subsequent election he was returned, and so on for five or six times in succession This was between 1830 and 1840. He was never beaten for office. During this time he was associated in the law business with Austin A. King, afterwards governor of the State. King was a Democrat and was once beaten by his partner. In 1839-40, when the location of the State University was to be settled between Cole, Cooper, Callaway, Boone and Howard -- the county subscribing the most to get the institution -- John B. Gordon took the stump, assisted by Hon. James S. Rollins. By their united efforts, and the unprecedented liberality of the people, Boone secured the University. About this time Mr. Gordon took his younger brother, James M. Gordon, into his office and prepared him for the bar and for a life of future usefulness and honor. In 1840 Mr. Gordon returned to Kentucky, and resumed the practice of his profession. His great success as a lawyer drew about him a number of young men eager to learn of him and to profit by his profound knowledge of law, among whom was Judge Samuel Miller, now one of the Judges of the Supreme Court of the United States. Mr. Gordon remained in Kentucky for about three years when he returned to Columbia and gradually retired from the active duties of his profession. He had six children, four sons and two daughters. Martha, the eldest of the daughters, married Judge Robert H. Clinkscales, formerly a prominent business man of Columbia, and for a brief period judge of the county court. Ida, the second daughter, married Prof. Oren Root, Jr., formerly connected with the State University. Boyle, the eldest son, has been an able practitioner at the Columbia bar for many years, and a professor of law in the State University. Wellington and Carey are also well-known attorneys of Columbia, Missouri. John B. Gordon, or 'Jack' as he was familiarly called, died on his farm, near Columbia, February 13th, 1855, (?) at the age of fifty-five years."
"Turner S. Gordon, proprietor of the Centralia brick kiln, was born in Boone county, Missouri, April 20th, 1848. He is the son of William J. Gordon, for many years one of the proprietors of an extensive wagon, plow and repair shop at Columbia, Missouri, which did a large business in the manufacture of agricultural implements and general repairing. The blacksmithing was under the supervision of Mr. Gordon, while the woodwork was made the specialty of his partner, Mr. Anderson. They used slave labor principally, and when the negroes were set free by the war, Mr. Gordon left the shop and engaged in the livery business, which he followed up to his death, in 1872. George W. Gordon, grandfather of Turner, came to Boone county about fifty-two years ago. He was of Scotch-Irish origin. The subject of this sketch was educated at the Missouri State University. In 1868 he married Miss Leona, daughter of Gen. Bolton. Her parents having died when she was a small child, she was brought up in the home of her uncle, Gen. Thomas L. Price, of Jefferson City. She was educated at the Moravian Female College, in Pennsylvania. They have two sons living and one dead. In 1877 Mr. Gordon embarked in the brick-making business, which he has followed ever since. He moved to Mexico in 1881, where his family now reside. Purchased his present business, with land attached, in March, 1882. Mr. Gordon is a member of the Christian church."
"Wellington Gordon is the son of Hon. John B. and Sophia (Hawkins) Gordon, and was born in Columbia, Mo., January 31st, 1838. His father, John B., was born in Milford, Madison county, Kentucky, and was educated principally at Transylvania University of Lexington, Kentucky. He studied law in the office of W. H. Caperton, of the Richmond bar, and was admitted to practice, forming a most happy partnership with Col. John Speed Smith, one of Kentucky's ablest lawyers. After a few years of successful practice he married Miss Sophia Hawkins, daughter of Nicholas Hawkins, who had emigrated to Kentucky from Virginia some years before -- 1826. The whole family of Gordons came to Columbia, Boone county, Missouri. Missouri, about this time, was receiving the best class of immigrants and Boone county a very large proportion. Politics, being the legitimate, honored business of the most enlightened, soon called forth all the energies and talents of John, who carried the county for the Whigs, and was elected to represent Boone county in the Legislature for five successive terms, from 1830 to 1840. It is to the eloquence and energy of John B. Gordon that Columbia is indebted more than to any other man for the location of the State University at Columbia. In 1840 he returned to Kentucky, practicing his profession and lecturing on law to the young men of the State, who came to sit at his feet, 'learning the law their fathers loved.' Returning to Missouri, he retired from active practice, and devoted his time to the instruction of his children, who have since shown themselves worthy such a sire. He died February 13th, 1853 (?), at the age of fifty-five years. He left a family of six children, four sons and two daughters. Martha, the eldest of the daughters, married Judge Robert H. Clinkscales. Ida, the second daughter, married Prof. Oren Root, Jr. Boyle, the oldest son, is now professor of law in the University. Emmett, Wellington, our subject, and Carey. Wellington was educated at the University, taking the full classical course of four years. When a boy he was deputy circuit clerk in the office of R. L. Todd for about fifteen months. He studied law in he office of his brother Boyle, completing the course in 1859, and opened an office in Kansas City, where he remained until the spring of 1860. He then went to Carrollton and practiced his profession for about a year, when he returned to Columbia, and practiced in the office of Guitar & Gordon until 1865. In 1866 he was elected county attorney, and served until 1872, when he was endorsed by an election to the office of prosecuting attorney, which office he filled acceptably for two years. Since that time Mr. Gordon has devoted his time and talents to his lucrative practice in conjunction with his brother, C. H Gordon. He was married December 13th, 1866, to Miss Laura Amonett, daughter of Judge James Amonett, formerly of Virginia. Mrs. Gordon, nee Amonett, was born in Louisiana, and at the age of thirteen removed to the city of Memphis, Tenn., where she was living at the time of her marriage. Their union has been blessed with five children -- Kate, Reverdy, Fleetwood, Ida and Mattie. Mr. Gordon has a fine residence in the northeastern part of Columbia. He is regarded as an able lawyer and a thorough gentleman."
"The subject of this sketch was born where he now lives, September 7, 1837. He is the third child of Sylvester F., who came to Boone county in 1818, with his father, William, from Kentucky, when Sylvester was but ten years old. They had to take shelter in Cooper's Fort. Thomas is one of thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters. He was principally educated at subscription schools, Robert A. Younger being his first teacher. Having been raised upon the farm, he naturally chose that avocation on arriving at the age of maturity, and has followed the business ever since. He is also a carpenter and has worked considerably at this trade. He inherited his father's farm upon which he now resides. The farm is well improved, and is finely adapted to stockraising. Mr. Goslin keeps some very fine stock and takes a lively interest in the business. He married Nancy E. Hawkins, daughter of Joel Hawkins, of Boone county. By this union they have six children, three of each sex. Their names are James, Joseph, John, Dora, Lou Ellen, and Amanda. Mr. Goslin is a member of the Baptist church at Bethlehem. He takes a deep interest in the cause of education, and is an enterprising, clever citizen."
"The subject of this sketch is a son of Francis and Frederica Grossman, and was born in Baden, Germany, November 15th, 1817. His father was proprietor of a mill, and Leopold learned the trade of miller, having been reared to that vocation from early boyhood. At the age of seventeen, he was 'turned out' for two years to learn the art of baking, so that at the age of nineteen, he found himself master of two trades -- those of a miller and baker. He then began traveling in these vocations, operating as a journeyman worker in first one and then the other of them, traveling in Germany and France for some years. While thus engaged, he operated in Heidleberg, Stuttgart, Vienna, Strasburg, and many other great cities, all of which tended to expand his mind and give him a knowledge of the business world. In 1840, Mr. Grossman came to the United States, arriving in New Orleans on Christmas of that year. He proceeded to Ohio, and was there employed about three months in a grist mill. Then he and his uncle, Albright Breslaw, went to Fayette, Arkansas, where they erected a grist and sawmill. Here Mr. G. remained but one year when he left and went to St. Charles, Missouri, where he had relatives from the old country. Renting a farm, he began farming in St. Charles county, and was there married on the 19th of August, 1842, to Miss Melinda Wokely. In the fall following, he rented a sawmill near St. Charles, and followed 'lumbering' till 1844, when he was forced to abandon it because of ill health. He came to Rocheport, in this county, in the spring and here engaged in the bakery business on Water street, which he operated successfully till December, 1845, when he sold out and returned to St. Charles, his wife being dissatisfied with Rocheport. There he purchased the sawmill he had formerly rented, and ran it until May '48. He then sold out and once more returned to Boone county, and has been a citizen here ever since. Again starting his bakery, he continued thus until 1858, when he purchased a farm near Rocheport, and began operating it with slaves, of which he owned a considerable number. He still owns the farm. After one year he returned to town, and began the general merchandise business with William West, firm style of West & Grossman. At this time he had amassed considerable property. But now came the period of reverses, among which was the payment of one security debt to the amount of $4,000. About the same time the war broke out, paralyzing business, and Mr. G. did but little till 1863, when he and Geo. W. Gregory opened up the bakery and grocery business, which they continued successfully till 1871. During this time they built two large store houses, and a warehouse. Mr. Grossman still carries on this business, Gregory having retired from the firm. In 1875, Mr. G. and Mr. Champion built the 'Monitor Mills' in Rocheport, which they still own. He has four living children: Houston; Josephine, wife of Dr. Edward Evans, of Boonville; Eliza; and Annie, wife of Dr. Chinn, of Rocheport. Mr. Grossman has done much to build up and keep up the trade of Rocheport, and to improve the town. He has been a member of the town board for twenty years, about half that time serving as town mayor. He was elected president of the savings bank in 1878, and is still in connection therewith. He belongs to the Rocheport lodge of A.F.& A.M., and is one of the most esteemed citizens of the place."
"The subject of this sketch was born in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, May 1st, 1827, and came to Boone county, Missouri, in the fall of 1829. His parents were John and Emily (Gordon) Guitar. John Guitar was born in Agen, France, and emigrated to the United States in 1819, landing first in New York, where he remained for two years. From New York he went to Richmond, Kentucky, where he was married, in 1824, to Miss Emily Gordon, daughter of David and Mary Jane (Boyle) Gordon. The mother of Mrs. Guitar was a native of Madison county, Kentucky, and a sister of Judge Boyle, of Danville, Kentucky. John Guitar was engaged in the mercantile business previous to coming to Columbia, Missouri. On his arrival here, he resumed his former occupation, selling dry goods and jewelry. He was actively engaged in this business from 1829 up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1848. He is buried at the old family burying ground on what is known as the Old Widow Gordon farm, east of Columbia. Mrs. Guitar died in 1847, and is buried by the side of her husband. Capt. Guitar was educated partly at the old Columbia College, finishing his studies at the Missouri State University, being one among the first students of that institution. In 1847 he enlisted in the Mexican war, serving one year. In 1849 he went overland to California, where he remained for three years. Returning to Columbia, he engaged in the mercantile business under the firm name of Baker & Guitar. He followed this business for seven years, when he sold out to his partner, G.F. Baker. In the spring of 1860 he removed to the farm he now occupies, two miles northeast of Columbia. During the war he was captain of a militia company under Gen. Douglass. After the war, he continued farming until 1869, when he entered the firm of Anderson, Conly & Co., proprietors of the Columbia Mills. He followed this business for eight years, returning to his farm in 1876. Capt. Guitar was married, October 25th, 1854, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Ferdinand and Martha (Bradley) Herndon, of Nashville, Tennessee. The father of Mrs. Guitar was an officer in the war of 1812. He was born in Fredricksburg, Virginia. By this union they have had ten children, eight of whom, five sons and three daughters, are still living. Their names are: James G., David G., Elizabeth, William, Martha H., John, Harriet, and Eddie."
"Gen. Guitar is of French-English extraction, his father, John Guitar, being a native of Bordeaux, France, and his mother being of English blood. She was a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of David Gordon, deceased, one of Boone county's pioneer. Her given name was Emily, and she was a niece of Chief Justice Boyle. Gen. Guitar was born in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, August 31st, 1827. His parents moved to Boone county, Missouri, in 1829, bringing the two-year-old Odon with them to Columbia, where they located and the elder Guitar did business as a merchant until his death in 1848. Gen. Guitar was educated wholly in Boone county, attending the common schools till his fifteenth year, when he entered the University of Missouri at its first opening session in 1842, and graduated in 1846 with the degree of A.B. His degree was conferred while he was on his way to Santa Fe. He had volunteered for the Mexican War in Col. (afterwards Gen.) Doniphan's regiment, and did not remain at college for commencement, but left his graduating speech to be read by a classmate. Gen Guitar served through the entire Mexican war, and on his return began the study of law in the office of his uncle, Hon. John B. Gordon, then one of the leading members of the Missouri bar, and recognized as the first orator of the State at that time. He was admitted to the bar in 1848 before Judge William Hall, of the circuit court, and at once began the practice which he prosecuted as his chief vocation till April 1882. When the great civil war came on, Gen. Guitar was Union in sentiment, and was commissioned in May 1862 by Gov. Gamble to recruit a regiment of volunteers for the Federal service. This regiment was from several different counties, and was mustered in as the Ninth Cavalry, M.S.M. He commanded the regiment till his promotion in June, 1863, when he was commissioned brigadier-general of the M.S.M., and also of the E.M.M. Both these promotions were for gallant and meritorious service in the field. For a complete record of the campaigns in which Gen. G. participated, the reader is referred to the war history department of this volume. He was the first commandant of the central sub-district of Missouri, with headquarters at Jefferson City. After the war, he resumed his practice in the law, and continued it at Columbia till the date above mentioned. In 1853-4, and again in 1857-8, he represented his county in the General Assembly, having been elected on the Whig ticket. Since the dissolution of that party, he has been a Liberal Republican, though he has taken no active part in politics, and has not sought either the honors or emoluments of public trusts. Gen. Guitar was married in December, 1865, to Kate L., youngest daughter of Judge Abiel Leonard, deceased, formerly of Howard county. They are the parents of five children, four daughters and one son, all of whom survive at this writing. Gen. G. is not a member of any lodge or society of any kind. He owns several farms in Boone county, but the principal part of his estate is in town property in Columbia. He is one of those citizens of prominence who take an active interest in all public affairs and in everything pertaining to the country's welfare. While in the practice of the law Gen. G. paid most attention to criminal cases, and defended in a large number of homicide cases. Only one of his clients was ever hanged, but five sent to the penitentiary. The others were all acquitted, four of whom were saved by the adroit management of their counsel after conviction and sentence to execution. Altogether, the life of Gen. Odon Guitar has been a success, and his record is one of which any man might well be proud."
"George W. Gulick, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Loudon county, Virginia, as were both his parents, William and Mary (Hixson) Gulick. Both his grandfathers were Virginians and majors in the revolutionary war. His father served in the war of 1812. George W. was born April 13, 1830. He grew to manhood in his native county, and was educated partly at the country schools, completing his education at Loudon Agricultural and Chemical Institute. After finishing a thorough course of studies at this college, he entered at once upon the active duties of life. His proficiency was such that on quitting Loudon Institute, he was elected an honorary member of the Literacy Society of Hampden-Sidney College, Virginia. He was married, October 13, 1857, to Miss Mittie E., daughter of William J. and Lucinda Carr. She was a native of Loudon county, Virginia. They have eight children now living: William E., Carr, Kate C., Mary L., Walter O., George T., Hattie and Pearl. Mr. Gulick removed to Boone county, Missouri, in 1857, and settled about two miles from where he now lives. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist church. He is also an Odd Fellow and a member of the Order of United Workman. He served as a justice of the peace for Bourbon township for two terms. He is also a member of the Boone county Democratic central committee. He is of German origin on his father’s side. His mother was of Scotch descent. Mr. Gulick is an energetic, well-to-do citizen, and is held in high esteem by all who know him."